Tuesday, December 2, 2008

President-Elect Obama addresses governors...

Earlier today, President-Elect Obama called a meeting with the governors of all fifty states to discuss his plans to launch a coordinated effort to fix our financial situation.

I just finished watching his statements on C-SPAN, it was as refreshing as it was moving. To hear a politician humbly ask for help, not just from his Democratic buddies, but from Republicans as well, put a smile on my face. One thing in particular that he said nearly brought a joyful tear to my eye.

He said, "I offer you [Republicans] the same hand of friendship and the same commitment to partnership that I do to my Democratic colleagues. There is a time for campaigning and a time for governing...We are not going to be hampered by ideology while trying to get this country back on track. We want to figure out what works."

He went on to discuss his desire to try gubernatorial ideas from either party that work on the state level in Washington. I can't remember a time when an American leader had the pragmatism and the humility to ask for help in such a way. Later, during the press conference, Governor Rendell of Pennsylvania said that such a meeting during a transition period was "unprecedented."

As trite as it is to say at this point, I'm excited. I have that nervous excited feeling in the pit of my stomach, and I can't wait to see what happens next.

-Matt

No comments: