Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Smoking, artsy farts pitchahs, and pancakes...

I want to talk about a few things. The first order of business, really cool English warning labels. For instance...
Blunt. Graphic. Effective..?

Not really. As far as I know, a much higher percentage of people smoke in England than in America. Also, there isn't a huge anti-smoking stigma like in America. Everybody smokes here, and everybody knows it's going to kill them. I guess they care, but not enough to make themselves stop smoking. I don't blame them, who wouldn't want to look this cool..?
Yesterday, I got a bit homesick. I really missed HBoO and decided to cheer myself up by walking around the city after lectures and take pictures of random things that I saw. I know that if HBoO were here, she'd yell at me for taking pictures of nothing important while telling me to stop using the macro feature (Typing this makes me miss her..:-( ) Here's what I came up with...
The first is a bit hard to see, but it's definitely a piece of plastic bag tied to a tree in the middle of the shopping district. The second is a bench outside of where my classes are, somebody just left a Diet Coke can on a bench, and nobody was sitting there because of it. I might turn this into an ongoing project, taking pictures of interesting litter...

Also, yesterday was national pancake day. I'm not joking. It's a real holiday. Everybody eats pancakes, and it's a holiday recognized on a national level. Beats the shit out of President's Day and Labor Day. Maybe America should learn from this and create cooler holidays in the future like "Big Juicy Hamburger Day" or "Buckets of Chicken Wings Day". I think our society would greatly benefit...

Anyways, it being Pancake Day, my friends and I decided to go on a crazy adventure at 2 AM and make pancakes. The funny thing is, even though England has a national holiday devoted to pancakes, people here don't know how to make them. This was the result...
When I realized what was happening, I quickly took control and diverted what would have been an awful disaster. The results don't lie..:-)
In more recent news, I went to Hadrian's Wall today. It was really cool, and I took a ton of pictures. Unfortunately, I had to deal with those crazy Americans again, but, overall, it was a good experience. I'll write another entry tomorrow detailing the adventure, expect lots of cool pictures, the surrounding area was absolutely gorgeous..:-)

-Matt

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wait till they taste your french toast!!!