Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Welcome to the world's most magnificent cathedral, no photos allowed...

Today was another Wednesday field trip, this time to Durham Cathedral. The only thing that I have to say about this place is.."Wow". Walking into this place and looking in any direction creates an intense feeling of awe and wonder. You think to yourself, "Hundreds of men spent forty years of their lives constructing this masterpiece, and I've only eaten a sandwich today..."

In the full throws of my first impression, I instinctively reached for my camera, with visions of blog entries dancing in my head. Then I noticed dozens of rectangular signs. "No photography!" "Please don't take a single picture!" "Big Big Brother is watching you!" I sighed the saddest sigh of my life, then put the camera back in my pocket...

The group was then approached by a tour guide. Shit! Then she began to speak, and it reminded me of my grandmother. This wasn't like the last time, she sat us down and let us gape and trail off if we wanted to while she told stories of yesteryear and days past inside the cathedral. Particularly amusing was her strange historical obsessions with the 1000 year old resident historian, Beada. I also learned that she was half deaf, so if I positioned myself correctly so that she wouldn't hear the snapshot...

Secret agent Matt prevails again! The first three are filming locations for the Harry Potter films, while the third is a library dating back to the 15th century, its original collection still sitting on the cases. These are just a few of the many wonders encased in this building. I really wish I could have taken a few in the main room, but alas, my secret agent skills are not quite up to par. When we left, I made the dangerous decision of falling behind to take more pictures because, despite what the clergy say, I will provide my reader(s) with photographic evidence of my exploits! Take that!
And that!
And some of this! Just for good measure...
Oops! Aimed the camera the wrong way...

After we left Durham, we stopped to see "The Angel of the North", a big rusted metal angel in the middle of nowhere...
I've asked around, apparently everybody living in northern England thinks it's disgusting. I tried to listen to my professor as he talked about how it represents the industrialization of England and a united future under capitalism, but I was more interested in staring at the pretty sky...
Oooohhh pretty..:-)

On a final note, thanks a whole bunch mom, dad, Michelle, and Katie for the best overseas package..EVAR!!!
-Matt

2 comments:

Melissa said...

umjealous.

reason for jealousy #1: cathedrals are awesome and HELLO? HARRY POTTER

reason for jealousy #2: why won't your parents send ME some thin mints? :(

cloverything said...

omggg i recognize those places from hp!

...does that make me a dork?