Friday, September 12, 2008

Elementary school throwbacks...

This semester, I'm taking Math 101, officially titled Math for Liberal Arts Majors. Yes, it's bullshit. I knew that going in, but it's a requirement to graduate, so there isn't much use in complaining. Twice a week, I'm treated to a dull lecture by an ancient man about different types of elections (plurality votes, weighted votes, etc.). I struggle to maintain consciousness. On Tuesday, I lost the battle before leaving my house. Today, I made it all the way to the math building...

I sat down in my usual seat, center row, three seats from the front. The professor called my name...

"Brinn?"

"Yes?"

"We made a seating chart last time, you weren't here."

"..Okay?"

"Well, that seat is taken, you can't sit there."

I looked around. Half the class hadn't bothered to show up. There were no less than ten empty desks.

"Um..ok?"

"Now, you can sit in any of the seats up front, or move back two seats."

"Wait a minute. I've been here every class except the last one. I've sat in this seat every time. Who sits here?"

"Doesn't matter, I have a seating chart, you can sit two seats back."

I gathered my stuff and moved two desks back. The class collectively chuckled. Nobody came in late to claim my former desk. I now sat in the last row, all by myself...

A seating chart? In COLLEGE???

I knew I looked a bit young for my age, but this... ... ..what's next? Scheduled bathroom breaks? Snack time? Recess?

I know...

It's nap time...

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ...

-Matt

1 comment:

Suldog said...

Dope. You should tell him you set up a seating chart for teachers, and he's out in the hall.